Thursday, July 8, 2010

Video Response Week 6

1. Explain why you selected each of the FOUR videos you choose from the selection listed above.

The Power of Art: Caravaggio was the first video that I chose because I remembered reading about something "Caravaggio," but I couldn't remember what it was. Imagine my surprise when I realized that Caravaggio was an artist!

2. For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.

~ Caravaggio was born in a small town called Caravaggio.
~ His father and grandfather died when he was 5 years old.
~ His mother died when he was 19 and they sold off what little was left of the farm and he moved to Rome to become a great artist.
~ He had a lot of tragic life experiences so he couldn't relate to advice he was given when told to paint heavenly scenes.
~ Caravaggio lived in a rough section in Rome and hung out with ruffians.
~ He eventually killed someone and was wanted for murder.
~ He left town traveling to Naples where he became famous there too.
~ While in Naples some of his work suggests that he seems to have regretted murdering that man.
~ Shortly after being knighted, he was arrested again.
~ Caravaggio was able to escape where he fled to Sicily.
~ He receives a message stating that he was to be pardoned.
~ He makes the David and Goliath self portrait.
~ On his journey back to Rome, he gets thrown in prison and his "offering" sails away.
~ While trying to regain his paintings, he gets malaria and dies.

3. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text?

Watching this video makes me appreciate Caravaggio's art more by getting an in-depth look into his life, something the book only briefly mentions.

1. Explain why you selected each of the FOUR videos you choose from the selection listed above.

I chose Leonardo da Vinci: The Mind of the Renaissance because I am fascinated by da Vinci and wanted to learn more about him.

2. For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.

~ When writing, da Vinci "mirror writes."
~ He was probably a homosexual based on people analyzing what he wrote.
~ He was tried for sodomy, but was let go due to lack of evidence.
~ He had a love for animals and didn't like how people treated them so cruelly.
~ Da Vinci disagreed with the notion that things that were mechanized were not considered fine art.
~ He spent a lot of time reflecting on his work
~ He was a perfectionist, and didn't get many commissions because he is known to not complete his work or relinquish the "unfinished" product to those who commissioned it.

3. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text?

The book went more in-depth into da Vinci's life than it did Caravaggio's. However, I did not get as much out of this movie as I did the movie on Caravaggio.

1. Explain why you selected each of the FOUR videos you choose from the selection listed above.

After watching 2 videos, one that I really enjoyed, and the other that I didn't like, I decided to preview the rest of the videos before watching them. It didn't take long to get the feeling that this promised to be interesting.

2. For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.

~Botticelli was called to Rome to work on the Sistine Chapel.
~He might have portrayed Lorenzo the Great in La Primavera.
~Nymphs are not real, therefore it was considered OK to paint them in that revealing manner to show off their beauty, but they wouldn't have spurred any "naughty" thoughts because they weren't real.
~In 1498 La Primavera was inventoried and given a price of about 100 lires.
~That inventory also provided the address of where it was housed.
~La Primavera was probably a wedding gift.
~It appears as though it was hung in the newly married couple's bedroom above a sofa bed.
~LaPrimavera has sexual undertones, including what appears to be a rape that is about to occur, and then what becomes a happy wife.
~Egg tempera was used to give it a transparent look.
~Despite the title, the flowers don't all bloom in the spring.
~The flowers have a meaning that people have tried to interpret.
~Boticelli died in poverty.
~In 1743 the last of the Medici line died and bequeathed this painting (and others) to Florence, where it lay hidden for another 150 years before finally being brought out to be displayed in 1856.
~Females in Boticelli's works always seem like they had too much responsibility and were sad.
~The flowers tended to be in the process of decaying.
~There seems to be a recurring sense of foreboding in his works.
~He gained popularity through the Pre-Raphaelites.

3. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text?

This video goes into much more depth than the book did. I learned a lot more about this painting, making me like and appreciate it even more! I am truly fascinated by the process in which it was made. It makes me want to try my hand at egg tempra paint!



1. Explain why you selected each of the FOUR videos you choose from the selection listed above.

The Drawings of Michelangelo is the last video that I viewed. I chose this video because it was interesting to me to see how people were able to study Michelangelo's drawings for free!

2. For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.

~David was carved within 2 years!
~His drawings show a progression to his final work, often working and reworking a drawing.
~Michaelangelo paid attention to detail on Day's back because the priest would be the only one viewing the statue and he wanted that portion to be perfect.
~The texture on the marble statues have been chiseled in such a way as to look like real flesh.
~Veins are even present in the drawings and the sculptures.
~Michaelangelo went into hiding due to his political ties.
~In his old age, his eyes were failing, his hands didn't work the pen in the same sure lines. This is why the intensity that he was trying to portray wasn't there in his final drawings.

3. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text?

This video focused more on Michaelangelo's drawings than on his other works, and the book referred to his other works and not so much on his drawings.

4. What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of the readings and art concepts?

The best film that I watched was the one with Caravaggio. That was such an interesting video, that it should have been the last one so that the others would have been easier to watch. I also really liked the Primavera video as it brought me a knew understanding of the painting. I was fascinated by all of the complexities surrounding the allegory of this painting. The video on Michaelangelo was interesting, but I found myself paying attention more to the video and forgetting to take notes. The video that disappointed me was the one on da Vinci. I expected more than what it gave me. I couldn't seem to stay awake on that one but was too far invested to switch movies, and I really did hope that it would get better. I would not recommend that video to anyone!

As stated earlier, for the most part I gained a deeper knowledge from watching the videos, thereby helping to cement my knowledge of the various artists. I don't think I could ever forget Caravaggio again!

No comments:

Post a Comment