Installation art is art that uses space that you can enter, explore, experience, and reflect upon (47).
B. What materials are used installation art?
The materials that can be used are whatever the artist deems necessary to their installation. Some examples could include: lighting, videos, oil, fruit, metals etc.
C. Why make installation art?
To push the door open to what defines art.
D. Which artist/installation did I find most interesting?
I really liked the installation that used people in their work. I don't remember the artist, or title of work, but it was in the video that we watched where people were getting body painted!
A. From the material reviewed, is there a inspiration piece that I feel a connection with?
I definitely got my inspiration from Thomas Hirschhorn's Jumbo Spoons and Big Cake (2000) on page 254 of our textbook. I can't say that I necessarily felt a connection to this piece because of its' overload to my senses, but I will say that I was sitting at my desk looking at the different installation pictures when I said "Why Not?" So I rearranged my desk to focus on what is a huge part of my life right now ~ AED200! I am forever being consumed by this class, and thought it only fit to show that.
B. What theme do I want to explore in my installation? Refer to your textbook if you need to review Themes of Art.
(Nature, Environment, Self, Mass Media, Consumerism, etc.)
I used the Here and Now category, because this class consumes so much of my time, it is definitely what I am doing almost every day of the week for hours on end! My PowerPoint project where we had to look up 10 works of art took me 12+ hours to complete!
C. What materials will I use?
I used my notes, my book, my folder, and my computer.
D. Where will this installation be located and why?
This is located at my desk, because that is where I spend the bulk of my time for this class! I have the candle going in the background, but I didn't take a video so you can't hear it. The candle is special because it has a wooden wick with natural wax that crackles as it burns. The scent is refreshing and helps keep me up during those long Art hours! The crackle of the wick makes me feel like I am sitting outside at a campfire ~ very soothing!



Artist: Shirley Newland
Title of work: Passing of Time
Media: Everyday objects
Date: 2010
Size: 3 inches high
Source of picture: My home
Description ~ I see a computer monitor that is using FireFox web browser with many tabs. I see Angel open to the project page. I see several sheets of paper with Art Education notes on them. I see an open Art textbook sitting on a binder and laptop. In the background I see a blue candle. I see a dark area surrounding the monitor, with a hot pink paper bag standing up next to the speaker.
Formal analysis ~ I see line both in the diagonal direction of the paper, and the horizontal lines that are on the paper. I see vertical lines on both the hot pin bag and the monitor. I also see shape (of the monitor and candle), value by the darkness that surrounds the monitor providing depth, and color with the contrasting white/black and royal blue/hot pink. I almost see balance with the blue and pink being on opposite sides, and the black monitor with the darkness around it, contrasting all of the surrounding white. There is also hot pink writing on the one paper that is sitting next to the blue candle. The diagonal of the paper suggests movement that isn't there, but it guides your eyes over to the candle off to the side which creates emphasis and there is movement from the fire.
I found it very difficult to decide what to do. I originally wanted to play with clay and recreate one of my dog's heads, but I didn't think that I could get that done in time, and I have never used clay so I didn't know if I would get the results that I would expect during a replica. I would expect perfection like the sculptor from the movie that we watched. When I finally decided on this installation, I was afraid that it was kind of cheesy and wouldn't be taken seriously. Once I decided what I was going to do, I cycled through the steps really fast.
No comments:
Post a Comment